Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Beginning of The Beginning

The beginning of the beginning only means that I'm starting a new "chapter".  A new chapter seems trivial, so I would call this, like Jane Austen, a new Book.  Book IV, or the fourth city I have inhabited.  This one just so happens to be across the ocean distanced from everyone I know and all my southern comforts. 

I will be moving from small town Oxford, Mississippi to Ciudad Real, a smallish town in the Castillian-centric region of Castilla-La Mancha.  Known for its wine, windmills, and literary references from Don Quixote, Ciudad Real will be my home fro the next 9 months.  For someone who has had everything placed before her, I have been paying my own way through life this summer.  For the first time I will be living off my own bacon, cheese...what do they call money these days? I guess I better bring the slaughter home, then.  With my saved Bailey Bux and Spanish income, I will officially be independent.  Cue Destiny's Child.  Downside: I can't cook. Add that to the list of things to accomplish. Yes, I have a list of activities I want to accomplish/learn while abroad. 


Number 1: Find a place to live.  No, I do not have a place to live.  I'm being greeted at the Madrid airport by Stuart, a nice Brit and family friend of my aunt in Dubai.  I will be staying with his family for a few days while adjusting to Spanish life.  I'm trying to decide what book to bring on the plane...I'm 300 pages shy of finishing Brisingr, but I'm not about to lug that monster around.  Maybe All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy.


Time to finish packing and enjoy my last day in Oxford.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to miss you. First to comment on your blog. Woot. I like the look of things here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to read this ALL the time. Good luck, Bailey Boo. I can't wait to hear about your awesome adventures!

    ReplyDelete